Sunday, August 30, 2009

Sarah's First Step to "Girl Hood"

Well...it happened. I knew it was inevitable, but I didn't think that it would happen before her fifth birthday. There we were at our playdate with our China friends yesterday (I'll post photos of that later). Before hand, we stopped at the Maverik to get Sarah a snack in case she got hungry. She chose an apple, which I was more than happy to oblige her with. After playing for an hour or so, she decided that she wanted her apple. She was playing around while eating it, then she suddenly she came to me, with "the look" on her face. You know the one, where she wants to cry, but doesn't...still, I could see she was in pain. I asked her, "what's wrong Honey?" She was pointing to her mouth and holding her apple in the other hand. To my surprise and horror her tooth had a little blood, and I could see it was "out of place". As I looked closer, I could see it wiggle and her "grown up tooth" that was coming in behind the baby tooth in front. Over the past few weeks, I had noticed that the space between those 2 teeth in front had gotten bigger, and now I knew why. I shouted, "You are losing your baby tooth! You have a grown up tooth coming in behind it!"
Sarah was so elated, jumped up and down screaming, "I'M GROWING UP!!"
Yes, to my dismay, my baby is growing up, officially graduated from the toddler years, to the big girl years. I cried as I lay in bed last night...reflecting my Noodle and how much she's grown...how quickly the time goes and how precious every moment is to experience to it's fullest. I don't want to miss one single thing in this girl's life. I want to enjoy her every day, her sweet ability to bring a smile to my face and a laugh to my heart. Her loving hugs and kisses and "in the middle of the night I Love Yous" as she comes in our room to make sure all is right in her world.
I don't want to be too caught up in the world to miss one moment with my girl...and each dance around the living room in her Cinderella dress, each page we color together, each game of Candyland on the dining room table, or each puzzle to do together and especially each baby tooth she loses, and each big girl tooth that comes in.

2 comments:

CassieU said...

she's such a brave little girl..i love her response! I'm really glad that I found your blog! It's nice to hear how things are going.

Emily said...

So wild....they are growing up so quickly....thanks for sharing. Love to you all Em and M-J